It does not matter what blogging platform you’re using, a custom domain name is always better than a free domain name. The former comes with a slew of benefits that are not provided by the latter. But before exploring these benefits, let me first explain the critical difference between the two.
When you register yourself and publish a blogging platform like blogger, the link of the blog shows up like name.blogger.com which is a free domain name. On the other hand, personalized domain or custom domain names are like alexwrites.com. There are numerous benefits of setting a custom domain like automatic marketing of your blog. And not to forget, it looks more professional and authentic.
The Question of Cost
The cost of a custom domain varies depending on the provider. But this cost can always be brought down with the help of coupons and promo codes. As the latest coupon code insights show, 90% of consumers use coupons in some way to get discounts. It’s only natural for the individuals buying a custom domain to get in on the action.
So while a free domain will always appeal more to austere business leaders, a custom domain is also attainable within a limited budget.
With that settled, let’s move on to setting up a custom domain.
How to Set Up a Custom Domain for Blogs
If you register a domain from Godaddy.com, they will provide you with an IP address which includes A and CNAME record. Likewise, Blogger.com provides a custom domain set up to create personalized blog URLs. A lot of people face trouble in changing the records of A and CNAME to populate their blogs of blogger.com as it requires some technical understanding. The step by step guide below will help you in apprehending the setup of a custom domain. Let’s follow them:
- Sign in to your Godaddy.com account and open the My Account tab. Do not forget, you need to buy a domain name from Godaddy.com first.
- You will find a feature of Domains. This will contain a list of your domain names.
- Whichever domain you want to update, find it in the list. Besides the name, click on Advance Details.
- The domain manager page of the domain will open up. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and search for the heading of DNS Manager.
- Click on DNS Manager to change and view all the configurations. To update any feature, click on Launch.
- On clicking Launch, you will be able to open A Record table. You will have to enter the IP address by just clicking on Quick Add. This is an extremely simple way of altering the records.
- Same as A records, you will find a tab of CNAME (alias) in the DNS Manager Page. If you’ve already produced a CNAME record for the blog’s address, proceed to pencil icon that’s next to the existing CNAME record.
- After making changes in the existing records, click on Save Changes to save the data you’ve edited.
- As for the name- enter just the sub-domain of the address that you wish to use for the blog. For example, if your desired address is www.alexwrites.com than enter www here.
- After that, enter ghs.google.com in the host tab.
- Set the default settings to 1 hour or use TTL. It might take about 4 hours to save the settings and activate them globally.
It might show up like:
- Record Type: CNAME
- Host: www
- Points to: ghs.google.com
- TTL: 1 hour
The steps look little technical but once you follow them sequentially; it will become a piece of cake for you. Switching to a custom domain from a free domain does not affect your traffic as google itself takes care of the migration. If anyone will search you with the old domain, Google will itself direct the user to the new domain website without any error. The redirection will not hurt your traffic and SEO ranking.
And if you stop to think about it, PhenomenalShoes.com sounds much better than PhenomenalShoes.blogspot.com.
When it comes to free and paid, the choice is often obvious for the users. But the commercial appeal of custom domain name makes it far effective than the alternative. And most importantly, there are plenty of ways to attain a discount.
If you’ve picked GoDaddy as the host, you can also avail discounts with coupons and promo codes. Simply use a GoDaddy web hosting coupon code and the overall price would be cut down by a fair margin. As a result, you will have a secure and marketable website that will make way for the growth and success of your business.
I upgraded to a custom domain on Blogger just last year and the results were exceptional. It looked more professional, the traffic improved and I was able to market my brand with better efficiency. And since I used a coupon to get a discount, the cost never went outside my monthly budget.
That’s why I highly recommend anyone still using a free domain name to switch over. Websites are essential marketing tools and they provide a great return on investment. With a better website at your disposable, the possibilities for marketing and promotion are endless.
Written By: Alex Bill